Skip to main content

The Label

Although I was told in 2000 that I had bi-polar tendencies, I did not have an aggressive psychiatrist and I was able to go of medication completely when I was ready. I felt this pressure to hurry up and get off the pills because it was drilled into me how bad they were. I have been a Bible believing Christian since I was little and I have no desire to do anything that would displease God. Having said that I could not and still have not found a Biblical argument for NOT using the medication if I need to in order to stay healthy.

In 2004, after Matthew was born, I got the official stamp...I have bi-polar disorder. I hated the label because I feared the response I would get from other Christians. I grew up in old school Bible church where people didn't have psychological problems unless there weren't trusting God. The old "the only pill is the gospel." I have actually heard that from the pulpit more than once in the last few years(by different preachers).

God was very good to me though because He gave me a pastor who looked me right in the eye and said He didn't think it was bad for me to take the medication. He talked about how people medicate themselves for other reasons and that isn't wrong. Now it does get sticky because I could be on pain medications for an injury and become addicted and suddenly the pills are bad. I think the same common sense applies to my medicines. They cannot rule my life.

Honestly I hate taking them. I only do it so my children have their mother. I might risk going off them if it weren't for them. I know what the episodes do to the people I love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ansomnia

Up in the wee hours of the morning, is yet another perk of being bipolar. Yes, that's sarcasm because unlike some, I don't like being like this. I started getting a little more hyper than usual and now I can't sleep. I slept for an hour or two when hubby woke me up and I couldn't get back to sleep after. So I wasn't worried about anything, but I was wide awake. Even though I now feel tired, I still don't feel sleepy. It is hard to explain. Well I already took some calm down medicine and that didn't work so I am getting ready to take more. I use it only when I have to, but considering I need to function in a few hours I WILL consider this one of those times. I was excited about started school and I guess maybe I am going through an up cycle. That sort of makes sense since I had a down cycle in the beginning of the summer. I am glad that the cycles are much shorter than they used to be. I remember being tired and having little energy or ambition to do anyt...

Confessions

I am starting my own blog to reduce my boredom and give me a place to put my thoughts. Recently some people I know put some very difficult words out for all the world to see. I have been chicken to do the same and now I want to set the record straight. I didn't talk to people from high school for over ten years. It seems so silly now. I found out recently that I'm not the only one who grew up in college and beyond. We aren't kids anymore so the past is just that the past. I'll admit some of it I don't want to remember, but we did have some fun times in high school. The truth is something happened to me that I was not at all ready to talk about so I just avoided people. I got married in 1998 to a really great guy I met in college. We were giddy and in love. We decided after nine months of bliss to have a baby. Why not? I was bored and we wanted one. That sounds terrible to say that, but it is true. Boom one month later I was expecting. Three months later Jo...

An Issue of Blood Matthew 9:20

I have often felt like I know this woman having struggled off and on with my own issues. Very possible she had endometriosis which I do not. I am certainly thankful as that is such a difficult thing. Why do I love this story then? She was unseen. She had an issue no one could see. She couldn't talk about or get any relief. As my good old issue came back again and knocked me of my physical strength, I am reminded of this lady. I am not referring to my emotional struggles. This was good old fashioned physical nuisance. My devotional was about taking care of my body. All I can gleen from that is sleep and drink a bunch. This will pass. Not signifigant enough to say. Forgive me if I too feel the need to sneak up and touch Jesus garment anyway. Because I need to be refreshed. Do you ever just need someone to hit reset for you? Do you ever need to take a day to do nothing? I will be doing that tomorrow and just hope by the next day I have happy insides(:.