Skip to main content

This Christmas Day

This Christmas day was not too much like others. I woke to find a still frozen turkey in the sink and wondered just what to do about it. After four hours of pampering we finally got it thawed and stuffed. Christmas dinner was saved. My wonderful hubby helped willingly and grumbled later. We were all grumpy, tired, and hungry by the time it was all ready. My youngest is sick. Poor thing sounds terrible. But the children loved their presents and had so much fun playing with new things. I am thankful they really are easy to please MOST of the time. I am also thankful for all the great relatives and friends that contributed to the family's supply of presents and food. We were given anonymous grocery money this year. We have been give anonymous money from some source almost every year of our marriage. Whether we thought we needed it or not, it was always put to good use. If I don't need it, I give it away. I was able to give food away some this year so I felt like we were getting it back in a way. It really was a blessing. I've learned you can always give something to help those with a need. What that is will be different at times. At least it is for us. One year a stranger gave me a cloth bag filled with money. It had a Christmas card in it with no signature. Some lady just wanted to give it to me for some reason. I never met her. We were able to give that money to one of our missionaries. I wish I could say I am always worthy of such kindness, but honestly I am usually not. I do not give whenever I can. My own selfishness and laziness often gets in the way. And here we are on Christmas day. The very day when we remember the One who gave the ultimate gift, His own life. Yet what have I done for Him? How often do the things I do in the name of Jesus Christ have selfish motives too? In this moment I don't have any great depth of feeling that maybe I should. I only know Who Christ is and What He has done. I only hope that I will seek to obey God and honor Christ. I do sometimes wish we were born in a simpler time. The technology of today really affects me. I find myself not present like I should be present. That really is the only way to explain it. It is a battle constantly, 'To be present in this world, but not of it.'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions

I am starting my own blog to reduce my boredom and give me a place to put my thoughts. Recently some people I know put some very difficult words out for all the world to see. I have been chicken to do the same and now I want to set the record straight. I didn't talk to people from high school for over ten years. It seems so silly now. I found out recently that I'm not the only one who grew up in college and beyond. We aren't kids anymore so the past is just that the past. I'll admit some of it I don't want to remember, but we did have some fun times in high school. The truth is something happened to me that I was not at all ready to talk about so I just avoided people. I got married in 1998 to a really great guy I met in college. We were giddy and in love. We decided after nine months of bliss to have a baby. Why not? I was bored and we wanted one. That sounds terrible to say that, but it is true. Boom one month later I was expecting. Three months later Jo

Shutting off the Pleasing

 I am trying to stop the people pleasing. Doing for others is wonderful when it’s healthy, but I now recognize there’s a line I shouldn’t cross. Problem is that I don’t always see the line. I asked for something today and yes, I felt guilty. Then I felt guilty for feeling guilty. Ug! This weekend I saw my limit come and go so I did walk away from some responsibilities I was unable to do. It felt good to be strong enough to do that and two days later I am a wimp again. Regardless, it’s on me to be honest not on my friends and family to guess. So trying and sometimes failing. I am thankful that God is still working. I realized that although it’s small, I have changed. All that to say, don’t give up on people too quickly. 

One of those days

Have you ever had one of those days? You know when your so tired that you drop everything and go to bed without brushing your teeth or anything. I did. I was exhausted after going upstairs to act ridiculous. My family barely reacts anymore at my antics because they are so used to them, but this one did get quite a reaction. It turns out we have a Darth Vader Costume which I bought at a yard sale (a while ago for Jonathan) that fits me. I tried it on with my son's Darth Vader helmet and that was a site. John laughed and the boys just kept pointing and smiling at me. So that one was so worth it although it was like trying to breath inside a dusty plastic bowl. I was already sleepy when I did the costume thing. I hung the thing up, took one look and my bed and got in. I decided after about ten minutes to put on PJs. Then I closed my eyes and went to sleep. It couldn't have been more than 8:30. I had planned on going back downstairs so that lights were still on, and the beans I co