Skip to main content

Difficult Mirrors

Okay, I admit I am running out of good title ideas, but here goes. Have you ever met someone who is almost a mirror of yourself. You see in that person all your weaknesses magnified. I have had such a privilege recently. I talked to a woman on the phone and she felt connected to me and pushed to start a friendship. That part is not really like me at all for the record, but she has other qualities that are like mine. You know how something someone does is grating while you totally know you do it too. I have difficulty concentrating on any one thing for a long period of time unless I am very engaged so when I talk to people I have to work extra hard to focus. Because I am aware of it now, I try to listen and have gotten better about asking someone to repeat certain things or just out loud repeating what they said to make sure I heard them correctly. That seems to help and I remember more of what they say that way too. I had an incident with someone close to me a not long ago and I could tell she was really angry I didn't hear her, but I can only say that I didn't ignore her because she isn't interesting or important. At the time I was very hungry and tired...focusing was just not happening. But because she was also hungry and tired ...she was frustrated. It is a terrible thing to have as a weakness because I don't want my friends and family to think that they are less important to me than myself. Anyway, I am working on it. I sometimes feel like people don't listen to me either, but part of the problem is that things are so clear in my head and then they come out all mixed together. My brain is so messed up. So back to the mirror. My whole point is that this new acquaintance is me about ten years ago in a few areas. She is loud inappropriately (well, I am still that):) ; she strings balls of thought together and runs on and on from subject to subject faster than I can follow. Oh, I still do that too. She runs people through a filter that isn't realistic. I have done that in the past. I like her, but at the same time she gets on my nerves just a bit. Funny thing is, I get on her nerves just a bit too. She thinks my humor is too much and rude. I think it can be, but isn't usually. But I promised I wouldn't tease her anymore. I don't like to be teased either although it is part of daily life for me. I know it is not my job to "manage" her as my husband would say. I just need to be there. It will be good exercise for me relationship wise, but I think for now less is more. I only have one friend I can be open with about my emotional struggles and she is miles away and so not stable right now. I miss having someone who gets me, but it has been good for me to have to learn to hold back my emotions. I still wake up some days wanting to go back to bed. I still have nights when I feel like I just want to disappear. I still struggle with ugly thoughts and memories every single day. I could give it a fancy name like PTSS, but really who cares whether it has a name or not. Most of the time I am good for most of the day. Most of the time it is just moments of weakness rather then minutes or hours. I can see or hear something that will trigger the spiral to start again or maybe the thought just pops out of no where. I do wonder sometimes. Do regular people battle this too? Hubby says there are no regular people just people. Okay, people, do you have these moments too? What do you say to yourself in that moment? How do you pull the curtain and get up the next day and do it all again? I can feel the clock ticking and the hours surging by. You know how when you were a kid the clock seemed to take forever to move when you were waiting for school to end. Now, I am an adult the clock just is flying. Ticking so fast. It is probably that mess in my head again ticking(:. I need to go now, I am getting sleepy. I am reading Isaiah right now, but I took a break to read about Elijah. We had a missionary do a message on him recently. I didn't like the approach he took so I decided to read the passages myself and see what I saw. I think God shows tremendous compassion and mercy to Elijah. Why is that recorded? I think God knows when we are hurting and offers us the exactly what we need. In Elijah's case when Elijah wanted to die God said No, but took him home to heaven anyway. My long conclusion is that God is listening, even if He says No.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions

I am starting my own blog to reduce my boredom and give me a place to put my thoughts. Recently some people I know put some very difficult words out for all the world to see. I have been chicken to do the same and now I want to set the record straight. I didn't talk to people from high school for over ten years. It seems so silly now. I found out recently that I'm not the only one who grew up in college and beyond. We aren't kids anymore so the past is just that the past. I'll admit some of it I don't want to remember, but we did have some fun times in high school. The truth is something happened to me that I was not at all ready to talk about so I just avoided people. I got married in 1998 to a really great guy I met in college. We were giddy and in love. We decided after nine months of bliss to have a baby. Why not? I was bored and we wanted one. That sounds terrible to say that, but it is true. Boom one month later I was expecting. Three months later Jo

Shutting off the Pleasing

 I am trying to stop the people pleasing. Doing for others is wonderful when it’s healthy, but I now recognize there’s a line I shouldn’t cross. Problem is that I don’t always see the line. I asked for something today and yes, I felt guilty. Then I felt guilty for feeling guilty. Ug! This weekend I saw my limit come and go so I did walk away from some responsibilities I was unable to do. It felt good to be strong enough to do that and two days later I am a wimp again. Regardless, it’s on me to be honest not on my friends and family to guess. So trying and sometimes failing. I am thankful that God is still working. I realized that although it’s small, I have changed. All that to say, don’t give up on people too quickly. 

One of those days

Have you ever had one of those days? You know when your so tired that you drop everything and go to bed without brushing your teeth or anything. I did. I was exhausted after going upstairs to act ridiculous. My family barely reacts anymore at my antics because they are so used to them, but this one did get quite a reaction. It turns out we have a Darth Vader Costume which I bought at a yard sale (a while ago for Jonathan) that fits me. I tried it on with my son's Darth Vader helmet and that was a site. John laughed and the boys just kept pointing and smiling at me. So that one was so worth it although it was like trying to breath inside a dusty plastic bowl. I was already sleepy when I did the costume thing. I hung the thing up, took one look and my bed and got in. I decided after about ten minutes to put on PJs. Then I closed my eyes and went to sleep. It couldn't have been more than 8:30. I had planned on going back downstairs so that lights were still on, and the beans I co