Skip to main content

God Knows Better

I went to my monthly Mom's Support group meeting. Tonight's topic was our teens and dating. We talked about what we would want our children to look for in a mate. Hearing some of the women talk about what they expect to avoid made me think. I am glad God knows better than we do. I certainly feel like we have teach our children to find someone with like values. We all come from different backgrounds. That doesn't have to mean we cannot join together with someone in agreement for what that life together will be. It probably would have been easier for my husband to have picked a woman with less baggage. He probably would have had things much easier. I do wonder who he would be though. I think God used us to improve each other's lives. We are both better people because of that. I wouldn't be who I am without my baggage plain and simple. It might be burdensome at times, but it has given me compassion and deeper faith in God. I hope God will bring into my children's lives a mate that will see past the stuff that cannot be changed and believe the best of each other. I don't always act as encouraging as I should. Sadly in the day to day I get caught up in the every day frustrations and forget to be thankful. Thankful for the little things that my spouse does everyday to make my life better. Frankly, I am so very thankful to have a best friend who loves me through and through for who I am. I want THAT for my children too. Not perfection on some piece of paper.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Kid Perspective

As a kid I watched my parents fight about different things. I don't really have any other parents to compare them to so I can't really say whether they were normal fights couples have or not. I couldn't even say what most of them were about except the ones that were about me. We only ate as a family on holidays. My father came home late so we kids ate without him. I do remember spending time with him in the evening before I went to bed so it couldn't have been that late. My own husband gets home a little later because of his job commute so we eat late every night. But home schooling has given us the ability to be more flexible than my Mom was able to be. We had school early the next day. As I got older, I remember my Father being home less and less and the fights seemed to intensify. I remember one night when I was thirteen. I could hear them yelling through the wall. My mom found me crying and I told her I didn't want them to get a divorce. She told me

Leftovers

My exciting post of the day is leftovers. I am trying to think of creative new ways to use up my leftovers. I heard a Pennsylvania Dutch recipe recently for chicken pot pie and wondered if I could use my leftover pork roast to make something similar. I used yoke free egg noddles instead of the traditional square noddles. I substituted pork for chicken and pork broth for chicken broth. I turned my pork broth into pork gravy(really not that fatty...only a bit of butter all the fat had been skimmed.) I sliced up four potatoes into eighth of inch rounds and layered the pan. The potatoes were par boiled along with the carrots so they wouldn't be crunchy. I layered, potatoes, carrots, kale,pork, gravy, noddles and then repeated, but only did one layer of kale. Trying to sneak that stuff in(:. I seasoned each layer with dried onions, garlic powder and paprika. If it tastes yucky, I'll have to regret posting this(:, but it spells delicious. Last night we had pork barbecue. Now only hav

Confessions

I am starting my own blog to reduce my boredom and give me a place to put my thoughts. Recently some people I know put some very difficult words out for all the world to see. I have been chicken to do the same and now I want to set the record straight. I didn't talk to people from high school for over ten years. It seems so silly now. I found out recently that I'm not the only one who grew up in college and beyond. We aren't kids anymore so the past is just that the past. I'll admit some of it I don't want to remember, but we did have some fun times in high school. The truth is something happened to me that I was not at all ready to talk about so I just avoided people. I got married in 1998 to a really great guy I met in college. We were giddy and in love. We decided after nine months of bliss to have a baby. Why not? I was bored and we wanted one. That sounds terrible to say that, but it is true. Boom one month later I was expecting. Three months later Jo